There are many places in the world where you have the opportunity to learn about new cultures and way of living. The Middle East is one of those places, a reality where you can let yourself be surprised and stimulated by the different architecture, religions and culture. But not all countries in the Middle East are accessible or safe to travel to. It’s overall still an unstable region, with troubles and war still brewing in some areas. However, fortunately, there are a couple of countries where you can travel to without a dedicated guide, or without being a wild adventurer or adventuress. Jordan is one of those countries, accessible to solo travelers and groups, and on top of my recommended destinations for everybody. Here are 5 reasons why you should travel to Jordan:
- Petra is an ancient city that was built in a gorge, with exceptionally beautiful buildings carved in the sandstone of which the canyon is made. Walking through Petra and hearing from a guide how it was built and how people used to live there more than 2000 years ago it’s an extraordinary experience.
- Another Jordanian gem, Wadi Rum is placed in the center of the country. It’s a red sand desert with astonishing rock formations, and the location for many movies from the 1962 Lawrence of Arabia to the more recent The Martian, Dune, Star Wars’ Rogue One and Moon Knight series. Sleeping in a Bedouin tent in the middle of the desert is a must-do.
- The people. Hospitality is a big thing in the region, and in Jordan in particular. Jordanian people are amazingly welcoming and love to help any foreigner to experience their country in the best possible way. Of course any approach must be done with respect and openness, and anyone will be happy to answer your questions or guide you towards your destination.
- Middle Eastern food is delicious, and Jordanian food makes no exception. From the falafel stands in the street to fancier restaurants, there is always something very interesting to try and enjoy. A must try is the Jordanian breakfast, and Manakish. Amman has the most restaurant variety and is definitely the best place to try everything.
- Jordan is one of the most liberal countries in the Middle East. Orthodox Christians and Arab co-exist peacefully, LGBTQ+ individuals are not persecuted and women can decide what to wear freely. (This is not to say that you can do whatever you want, PDAs and certain items of clothing are very much frowned upon or rightly illegal. Read up on official websites what is considered acceptable behavior before traveling to Jordan.)
And a bonus 6th reason why you should travel to Jordan, you can experience floating in the Dead Sea and very affordable 5-stars hotels where you can relax after traveling in the desert.
So go check out the Visit Jordan website and start planning your trip!
And if you want to check out some pics from my travels in Jordan or ask me for recommendations check out my Instagram account.