“Mirror, mirror on the wall, who’s the fairest of them all?” This is a famous line from the fairy tale of Snow White, where the evil queen uses a magic mirror to seek validation and confirmation of her beauty. The mirror is said to have the power to speak the truth and provide honest answers to the queen’s questions. However, in the end, the mirror’s response leads to the queen’s downfall. While this is a fictional example, it illustrates the concept of seeking external validation and the consequences of relying too much on others’ opinions.1
Well, is it bad to rely too much on others’ opinions? Well, the answer is it depends!
It really depends on various factors. For instance, recently, Romanian PM Nicolac Ciuca unveiled Ion, an AI bot that was developed by local Romanian academics. This is the first time in democratic government, that AI bot was officially appointed as an “honorary adviser” to collect Romanian’s wishes in real-time data from social media and submit that to the government.
We are indeed advancing the world with emerging tech. Technology advancement, well managed, could be the answer for a safer tomorrow. Can we ensure that safety? Yes, it’s possible if we can ensure the following:
- Data Privacy and Security: Implement strong data privacy and security controls to protect sensitive data used by the AI bot. This includes data encryption, access controls, and monitoring.
- Human Oversight: Establish clear roles and responsibilities for the human operators who will be overseeing the AI bot. This will ensure that they are able to identify and intervene if the bot behaves unexpectedly.
- Regular Maintenance and Updating: Regularly update and maintain the AI bot to ensure that it remains safe and effective over time. This includes regular performance evaluations and updates to address any emerging risks or issues.
- Risk Assessment: Conduct a thorough risk assessment to identify and understand the potential risks and impact of the AI bot on your organization.
- Robust Testing: Develop a robust testing methodology to ensure that the AI bot functions as intended, and that it can handle different scenarios and inputs.
These are just a few factors and there are lot more robust industry practices that will ensure we can rely on emerging tech, such as AI bots.
Real-Time Loan Payment Processing Is Here(Opens in a new browser tab)
1. Mehul Reuben Das “Mirror, mirror on the wall: Romanian PM hires AI bot mirror as advisor to track public sentiment” https://www.firstpost.com/world/romanian-pm-hires-ai-bot-mirror-as-advisor-to-track-public-sentiment-12239282.html