Do you spend a considerable amount of your free time playing computer games? Don’t spend hours gaming on your seat! Elevate your gaming experience and your health—try standing while you play! The standing desk is an innovative piece of furniture that has started to gain popularity among gamers for many reasons.
First, standing offers a significant improvement in gaming performance, specifically when it comes to certain strategy games. Second, a standing desk encourages gamers to move more while they play, which translates to benefits in both gaming success and enhancement in the overall gaming experience. And third, it helps a gamer break free from being sedentary as he plays.
How to Create the Perfect Gaming Station with a Standing Desk
The next question is this—how do you design your gaming station with a standing desk at the core? To answer this question, you need to look at three general factors.
- The Standing Desk
A standing desk is designed for easy height adjustment, so you can use it sitting or standing. When planning to try and stand while gaming, make sure you set the desk to the correct standing height and that you save the said height so that the transition from sitting to standing height will be fast—no need for complicated adjustment each time.
Make sure as well that your standing desk table top and frame are capable of handling your gaming needs. The desktop must be wide enough to accommodate all your gaming equipment, which is important if, say, you use dual or triple monitors. Meanwhile, the frame must be sturdy, stable, and not prone to wobbling.
Make sure the desk has a weight capacity that can match all the equipment you plan to place on it.
- The Accessories
When creating an ergonomic gaming station, you can beef up your standing desk by getting ergonomic accessories to complement and complete your space. Check out the following accessories:
- An ergonomic mouse. PC games call for a PC mouse that offers a precise response for good game performance and proper ergonomic design for comfortable handling and use. This will make every game enjoyable and increase the chances of victory.
- The right mousepad. Pair your mouse with a mousepad that will ensure a smoother glide and just enough friction to keep the mouse working at an optimal level. You can get an extra-large mousepad to cover the length of your desktop and make sure your mouse has support no matter where it glides through.
- A high-quality headset. Make your gaming experience more enjoyable by immersing yourself more fully in the game with the help of a noise-canceling Bluetooth headset. It will allow you to be fully present in your game environment and to move more as you play, with no wires getting in the way.
- The User Experience
Standing while gaming is not something you’ll be comfortable with overnight—expect a period of adjustment where you will feel tired, your legs fatigued from all the standing. This will be normal in the beginning.
To make the transition easier and more comfortable for you, follow these:
- Make sure that you don’t stay planted on your spot and instead try to shift your weight between your legs as you play.
- Do stretches in between games—walk around to stretch those muscles and do small stretches on your desk.
- Invest in an anti-fatigue mat to support your feet and legs as you stand, making the experience more comfortable and helping you stand more without getting too tired.
- And if you feel too tired, sit. Don’t force yourself to stand more than your body can handle, especially in the beginning. Give it enough time to adjust.
By thinking of these three factors—the standing desk, the accessories, and your experience as a user—you can create an ergonomic gaming station that will definitely make the experience of gaming more enjoyable, all while helping you stay healthy as you play.
Looking for the right standing desk for gaming? Head over to MotionGrey, a leading provider of ergonomic standing desks, adjustable office and gaming chairs, and ergonomic accessories. Find the right standing desk for you and start building an ergonomic and healthy gaming station.